Friday, June 10, 2011

The Cortisol Kids

I think that my hockey fandom is unhealthy. Seriously, these games really shouldn’t matter so much to me but I just can’t help it. I partially blame my wife. Here’s how a conversation with her should go:

ME:        I’m so tightly wound up… I really don’t know what to do with myself.

ERIKA:   Lighten up Paul. It’s just a game, the sun will come up tomorrow, and everything will be ok.

Instead, this much more likely the response:

ME:        I’m so tightly wound up… I really don’t know what to do with myself.

ERIKA:   Did you wear that jersey last game? Maybe that’s the problem. I ate the same lunch as I did the last time they won, I’m hoping that helps.

It’s hilarious. We’re two obsessed fans who have an inordinate amount of interest in these games, and we just feed off of each other. Every game it’s a tensefest where we try to see whose cortisol levels can get to the point where their adrenal glands actually explode. At one point during the game I was so wound up that I remarked to Erika that if an alien burst out of my stomach and screeched in my face I would probably stare at it for 2 seconds before turning my attention back to the game with barely a thought of “so that’s why my stomach hurt so much”.

Oh well. We’re up 3-2 and that’s what matters. As does the fact that I didn’t throw up at work yet. Bring on game 6!

1 comment:

  1. Just think of how much you are going to actually ENJOY the games next year after they finally win this thing, all that pressure off your autonomic system!

    ReplyDelete